At Kids RehabGYM we provide therapy based on the medical model.
The primary role of an outpatient occupational therapist is treatment that enhances functional participation of the child at home and in community activities. Outpatient therapy is able to address a wide variety of skills, environments, diagnoses, and conditions. These services are primarily reimbursed by third-party payers (insurance). However, under the medical model, there are certain diagnosis that are not covered by most insurances. Such is the case with sensory processing disorder or sensory modulation disorder. Our therapists are knowledgeable about sensory interventions and may utilize sensory based activities in the session and the home program, though they are not trained in sensory integration therapy.
In order to help our families, we have gathered some books and links to videos and websites that can help you find more information on how to utilize sensory strategies in your daily routines and help your child with their sensory needs:
- The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder (The Out-of-Sync Child Series) By Carol Kranowitz and Lucy Jane Miller
- The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun, Revised Edition: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder (The Out-of-Sync Child Series) By Carol Kranowitz.
- Is It Sensory or Is It Behavior? Behavior Problem Identification, Assessment, and Intervention By Carolyn Murray-Slutsky.
- Sensational Kids by Lucy Jane Miller
- Sensory Processing 101 by Dayna Abraham, Claire Heffron, Pamela Braley, Lauren Drobnjak.
Some good YouTube videos of activity ideas:
- Sensory ideas for home - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w7uVlusDRE
- Sensory play at home - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWtmkjd45so
- Vestibular games for home - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjMbFDj5V5I
- Vision activities – http://youtube.com/watch?v=9kfhs6gKpsQ
Sensory toys and game ideas:
- Sensory bins (rice, beans, sand, kinetic sand)
- Shaving cream
- Balance Beam
- Crawling through tunnels
- Obstacle Courses
- Crash pads
- Yoga Stretches/animal walks